Thursday, October 22, 2009

My poor bub...

It's been a hard and exhausting week! Monday night Jacob had a febrile seizure. It was around 9:30 in the evening and he was in his crib. I was keeping an eye (and ear) on him on our video monitor (btw, thank goodness for that), and I noticed that he was making a noise I'd never heard before and I looked at the monitor and noticed his body was moving in a way that I'd never seen before. I knew immediately something was wrong and I just yelled for Jess to run to get him. I followed and as soon as I saw him, I cried, not the best move, but it's all I could do. Jess ran with Jacob to my parent's house (next door) and I called 911, and of course my sister, they were all here in just a couple of minutes. Three police cars, 2 fire trucks and an ambulance. The EMTs came in and did their thing and Jacob's temp was at 103 degrees. Crazy considering we were just playing, as usual, just before he went to bed. No signs, no nothing. The ride to the ER was quick, a total of 5 minutes but everything from the start of the seizure to our ride to the ER, felt like an eternity when in fact it was all done relatively quickly.

Once at the ER Jacob was given some meds, and had some tests performed, and we had to wait. Wait for the results of the test and to see if and when he would come out of his haze. He recovered quickly. He was talking and reacting to us within an hour, but he continued to be weak and extremely lethargic. He did really well in the ER and we received the results which were normal. Yay! But we still continue to wonder what caused his fever, it's scary to know that just a few hours before he was playing and laughing like nothing was bothering him to seeing him have seizure...It scares me every time I think about it.

Three days later, and Jacob is doing really well, as you can tell from the pictures below. His appetite is back, he wants to play with his toys, he's walking better, and he's talking up a storm. His fever lasted for about 2 days and finally broke last night just before 7 pm, and it hasn't returned. Such relief. These have been some of the hardest days of my life. Ever. And there's a small chance that this will happen again, but we're hoping and praying that this will be his last and only one. Thank you to those out there who kept us in your thoughts and prayers. THANK YOU!

1 comment:

MrsKBJ said...

I am so glad Jacob is doing well! It is awful seeing your kids in pain or sick.