Thursday, April 29, 2010

Diagnosed w/ Gestational Diabetes

I had my 3-hour glucose test 2 weeks ago, and last week I got the news. I have Gestational Diabetes. So, what is it? Certain hormones made in the placenta interfere with the ability of insulin to manage glucose. This is called "insulin resistance." Usually the mother's pancreas is able to produce more insulin to overcome this resistance. If the pancreas cannot produce enough insulin, glucose levels go up, resulting in gestational diabetes. The usual misconception is that unhealthy, overweight people get it, however with GD that's not the case. You can be an active, average-weight woman and still get GD. The real kicker is that, as my endocrinologist put it, I "barely failed." I failed the fasting portion by 9 points. They like it to be no greater than 90, I had a 99. I passed the 1-hour, 2-hour, and failed the third hour with 152, they don't like to see anything greater than 140. Since I have been diagnosed I've been to appointment after appointment. I met with my endocrinologist and a dietitian. Basically, to control it, I have to eat a diet that's high in protein and low in carbs. But after meeting with the nutritionist, I've learned that I can eat everything I usually eat except cakes, cookies, donuts, etc. And I need to maintain healthy portions. So, what happens if I can't control it? Well, I'd be put on insulin injections. I'm hoping I can control it! It's not so bad, but I do feel like I'm eating all the time. I have 3 meals a day and 3 snacks. I test my blood sugar 4 times a day, once in the morning and after every meal. At least my meter is pink and tiny. But all of this is for the good of our little girl, and it's forcing me to eat right. So far, in this pregnancy, I've only gained 5 pounds. With Jacob, by this time, I had already gained 20! I vowed not to do that again. Here's hoping we have a healthy, average-sized, adorable little girl!

No comments: